Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Whale of a Tale


A 39' Grey Whale visited False Creek and the WEASEL this week.

I got a text message from my wife saying: “There’s a whale in False Creek!” I checked the web and sure enough a 39’ Grey Whale was motoring around in False Creek. I was excited and planned on heading straight down to the boat to check it out but I got stuck at work late. Oh well I probably would not have seen anything anyway, boy was I wrong! In the end the Whale saw all it wanted to see in False Creek and headed back on its merry way.



The Whale entering False Creek



Truckin along between Burrard and Granville Street Bridges

Swimming between Ganville & Cambie Street Bridges.
The Whale off of Spruce Harbour Marina being followed by the CCG and Conservation.
The Whale passing a anchoured sailboat.
The Whale checking out Yaletown.
There she blows!
Two days later David and Mike were in the marina getting the boat ready for Thursday night racing when our boat neighbour, Rick Fowler (owner of “J”), popped by to tell the boys that he had been at the marina when the Whale was in the creek and that it had come into the marina. Not only had it swam around in the marina bumping into a dock finger, breaking it, it hit a boat lifting it up out of the water a bit. Sure enough it was the WEASEL.
Far from being annoyed or concerned that a whale had hit our boat I thought it was one of the coolest things I heard. It is rare enough to see a whale in False Creek but to have it hit your boat is something else. I can only assume that it saw its lovely lines and finely proportioned hull and mistook it for a sleek female whale and tried to mate with it. Truly bizarre!

The damaged finger was removed and the slips are now empty.

No comments: