Thursday, October 23, 2008

Upgrade Work to the Weasel


SEA WEASEL with all new lifelines.  mmm-shiny.


To save money I reused my old pelican gates.  This saved approx. $150.


The Port Side attachments had to be replaced.


These stoppers should stop the life lines slackening too much when the gate is opened.  They are better designed for coated cable so I used some rigging tape.  We will see...


To have more control over tension I used Amsteel lashing to attach the lifelines to the pulpit.  This stuff is stronger than the steal but breaks down in UV so it will have to be replaced in 3 years.


For the sake of the meat I added pipe insulation to the toe rail so it will dig in less when hiking out.  This stuff will suffer abrasion and UV damage but at $0.74 for 6'  I can afford to replace it each year compared with stronger sunbrella alternatives.  Zap Straps held it down.


I attached Harken sail chafe rollers to the top life lines.  I am going to add another pair 4 feet back from these ones.  In this shot you can also see my one new stanchion that replaces the one I lost.

Additional Recent Upgrades:
  • Bungee system added to winter tarp
  • CO2 Detector installed near furnace
  • 2x Stanchion bases
  • Lowered rear lower life line to accommodate the winches

No comments: