Wednesday, January 28, 2009

TCYC Represents at the 2009 Robbie Burns Dinner


TCYC at the 2009 Robbie Burns dinner in Snug Cove (Left to Right: Curtis, Joseph, and Sam)

I had known who Robbie Burns was and I knew of the Burns' Suppers but I had never attend them. Considered a sort of Scottish, working class poet there have been annual dinners in his honour since his death in 1796. For years TCYC has been attending the annual dinner held at Doc Morgan's in Snug Cove on Bowen Island. I thought I would brave the freezing weather and sail over on the SEA WEASEL. New TCYC member Joseph brought his boat FIRE CHASER along for the ride too.



Robbie Burns circa 1759

With little wind we motored most of the way in close formation. I did try a few valiant attempts at sailing but they did not last long. Getting into Bowen we made our way to the Bowen Island Pub for some craft beer and a appy. Then we made our way back down the hill to Doc Morgan's. The food and company was quite good. There was the traditional addresses and a live piper who played a few tunes. I was surprised to find that haggis was in fact quite good. It tasted almost like a turkey dressing of sorts. Following the three course meal we made our way back to the SEA WEASEL and were later joined by past TCYC members.

The next morning with a moderate inflow we made our back home. It was a cold but pleasant sail and Curtis and I took turns warming up next to the diesel heater. The Bowen Island Robbie Burns dinner is going to be on next year's agenda.

No comments: