Friday, May 30, 2008

Roller Furling Spinnaker




Orignally posted on May 12th 2007.

Wow Spinnakers can be a lot to manage so why not make a roller furling one!?! Well someone (no names) hauled up the spinnaker with the genoa halyard in the way. What occurred next was a total gong show. Our spinnaker became hopelessly fowled in the forestay and genoa halyard. soon the sail was winding it's self up. This resulted in Cheryl and I doing our best to unfowl it from the pullpit. This was in vain. The only thing that was nearly accomplished was Cheryl, clinging to the foot of the sail, nearly being blown off the boat attached to the bottom of the sail. "All I could think of was how long could I hang on for." Cheryl recalled. In the moment it never occurrd to her to let go. It would have been a truely awesome site to see!With only one hlayard free we decieded against going aloft as it would be too risky without a back up line. We opted to barge our way into the mast tower at the Vancouver Rowing Club.This was no easy task. We sailed into Burrard inlet and motored to the VRC. Docking was a real problem with about 80sqf of Spinnaker still catching wind as we approached. Cheryl and Dave jumped off the boat and bravely clung to the dock as the boat tried to blow off. Having been rather forcefull with the VRC office staff they had agreed to allow me to use the mast tower. Unfortunatly I ran into the Commodore who rightly was concerned about a non member using their facilities. I offered to pay and sign a waiver. He in the end releanted and I was allowed to use the tower.30 minutes later amongst cheers from the pub above I unfowled and recovered my remarkably intact Spinnaker. We retired tired sore but glad to have saved the sail. The rest of the voyage was problem free except for Dave making a less than graceful jump onto the boat as we motored away. I honestly thought he was going to fall in.

No comments: