Friday, May 30, 2008

When all else fails read the instructions.


Originally posted May 15th 2007

Well I thought I would try my hand at servicing the winches on my sailboat. I have x4 Lewmar Two Speed (25) winches. I did not know when they had last been serviced. I remember reading an article in Pacific Yachting or Sail Magazine detailing exactly how to do it. I also think I cut this article out and have it on the boat. Apparently I thought I knew what I was doing so I sat down in the most unprepared way possible and gave it a shot. The drum came off easy enough. It raveled that the last time the winches had been serviced was in fact prior to my birth. They were filthy and horribly gummed up. These were in no way safe. I removed the little paddles and springs and used a tooth brush and solvent to clean them. I then used tons of paper towel and solvent to clean the winch without removing it. I then lubed up all the parts with Lewmar brand winch grease. Smugly I went home feeling proud of my accomplishments. I looked up an article on the web to confirm that I had in fact mastered winch cleaning. Turns out I am a moron. If I had read this before I would have realized I did pretty much everything wrong.Turns out I could have easily removed the winch off of its base plate and dissembled it further to its components. I also should have soaked them in mineral spirits not solvent. I could have also cleaned all the components individually then. I should have also rinsed the parts I did take off after cleaning with warm water to remove any of the cleaning product as this will breakdown the winch grease I applied. I also should have used 3 in 1 oil on the little paddles not grease as they will with time gum up. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have also prepared the area for a big messy job by taping off paper and having all the appropriate tools laid out. In the end I basically wasted 90 minutes doing the job wrong and now need to do it over again. Luckily all I got done was one winch so I can learn from my mistakes and have at her again the right way without redoing everything.“When all else fails; read the instructions.”

No comments: