Friday, November 21, 2008

Tiddly Cove Yacht Club Gets a New Executive


The 2008/9 TCYC Executive: Left to Right, Niko, John, Randy, Ian, Rob, Tyler, Roy, Achilles, Brian, MC, and Trevor.

It is that time a year again when the TCYC has its AGM and selects a new Executive to run the club. Retiring from the position of Rear-Commodore I was looking for a new role within the club. I took up the gauntlet left by Rick F. and became the Fleet Captain, and will be responsible for managing all of the racing the Yacht Club puts on.

My goal this year is to take a good hard look at the racing we do, in particular the under attended races. Our regatta type races, such as the Spring Tune Up and Last Chance have been under attended for years. I would like to concentrate our efforts on building on our more successful races. I am also looking to test out a new and innovative race for the year in addition to continuing with our iconic English Bay Scramble.

To this end I would probably scrap the Spring Tune Up and Last Chance. The New Years race is a great one and I will be trying to promote this one and a raft up to watch the Polar Bear Swim in English Bay. Passage Island is a good race but under attended. This year I want to move it to the week before the big single handed race to Naniamo, and bill it as a warm up single handed race.

In June I am going to push for a new race on the summer solstice. I would like to pursue Niko's idea of a distance double-handed race. 60 nautical miles over night on a full moon night on the longest day of the year. This could be great fun and challenging.

Our summer short series was well run and attended last year and I will endevaour to keep this up. I may look at getting sponsors and working with FCYC to see if we can coordinate our summer programs.

In terms of our most famous race the English Bay Scramble I plan on assisting the chair of the Scramble Committee in building on our successes from last year. This year I hope we can make the following additions/changes:
  • Encourage US and Outside of Vancouver boats to attend.
  • Hire a chase boat and photographer to document the event.
  • Video tape the start.
  • Invite a VIP (the mayor) to start the race.
  • Invite media participation in the race.
  • Improve race result delivery.

2008/9 Executive:

Commodore: Ian

Vice-Commodore: Randy

Rear-Commodore: Rob

Fleet Captain: Tyler

Past-Commodore: John

Social Director: Achilles

Treasurer: Roy

Secretary: MC

Webmaster & EBS Chair: Niko

Officer at Large: Brian

Historian: Trevor


John passes the torch and dorky uniform over to Ian.

No comments: