Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tyler Wins the Log Boom Award


The infamous Log Boom Award.  Each recipient adds a memento to it.

The Log Boom award is a longstanding TCYC tradition dating back to the 1970s when the club was founded.  It is awarded each year to a club member for some form of Jack-Assery or major mishap.  The lucky - or unlucky - individual is selected at each year's Christmas Party by the membership.  There is a open mic and people are encouraged to regale each other with stories of member's embarrassing moments.  

For me there are always lots to choose from in a given year.  This year one stood out, story of the "Keg".  During the Annual Silva bay Hang Over race we had endeavoured to take a keg on the boat.  While this seemed like a good idea at the time it proved to otherwise.  With great power comes great responsibility; and I learned I can not handle it.  Becalmed in the straight on a sunny day we opened up the keg and began to partake of the beer we had on board.  By the time we managed to make it to Silva Bay I had more than my share.  As soon as we tied up I stood up and promptly fell head first off the back of the boat into the water.  After a moments pause I surfaced and was hauled onto the dock, wet and with nothing more than a destroyed cell phone and reputation.  The rest of the night I walked about with a life jacket on.  
This story has plagued me ever since.  I had omitted telling Cheryl this story for obvious reasons when one day she came home and stated that I had something to tell her.  It turns out her Physiotherapist had a friend who went on the race and told her all about this one crew with a keg and how the skipper had fallen off the boat.  So of course when it came to handing out the Log Boom Award this old chestnut was dusted off and repeated anew by Rick our fleet captain to the Club.  

While I am able to produce embarrassing incidents like this with ease I thankfully can only win the award once.

No comments: