Sunday, January 17, 2010

PRODUCT REVIEW:


PYI's PSS - Drip-less Stuffing Box.

I thought in the run up to the maintenance work I am doing on the boat I would go over a few of the products I have chosen to use on the WEASEL. When I do the installation I will put up a follow up article with some of my findings.

The Problem:

One of the few things I hate about sailing and in particular about my boat is the "damp" and cleaning up bilge water. My main problem is that the bilge water doesn't just stay in the bilge but winds up all over the boat: under settees, in cupboards, etc. The water is free to migrate around the boat because the bilge is designed to allow water to flow down into the bilge. The problem is when you tip the boat on its sides and allow it to bash through the waves this nasty bilge water can get everywhere.

To solve the issue I cannot seal up the bilge, have a way to get it out once it gets there or stop the water from getting their in the first place. I am not about to seal up the bilge as that would eliminate its main function. I have installed bilge pumps already and they always leave a 1" puddle in the bottom of the bilge. The real solution is to stop the water from getting in.

Water gets into the boat from rain water seeping in through leaks on the topsides or through fittings or holes in the hull. When I first got the WEASEL there were a few topside leaks around windows but I rebedded everything until they stopped. All of the hull fittings were secure but water still got it. The culprit was my stuffing box.

The traditional stuffing box when working well, which mine was not. Should allow for 8-10 drops of water a minute when the engine is in gear. Over several hours use this water builds up in the bilge and is sloshed around the boat before it can be removed. My stuffing box was probably dripping 30 drops per minute and needed replacement.

The Solution:

I could replace the old worn out box with a new version of the same thing. I would still have water constantly entering the boat. Instead I opted to upgrade to the PYI PSS (Packless Shaft Seal). This product does not require a constant flow of water through the seal. It uses a metal on metal seal to prevent water entering the boat.

The product has a strong reputation and has been in use for a number of years. It is the only product I am aware of the market that is truly drip-less. I am hoping after installing this that the boat will be truly leak free and address the annoying mopping up I have to do over and over again.


The seal's side profile.


A standard installation.

Install Video:





website: http://www.shaftseal.com/

No comments: