Thursday, January 14, 2010

SEA WEASEL Repair Plan


Granville Island Boat Yard.

Finally! The WEASEL is getting repaired! This has been the longest spell of me not sailing in the entire time I have owned the SEA WEASEL. In some ways it has been a good thing because I was getting a little OCD about the whole thing. That being said I am happy to finally have a date for the repair work that needs to be completed. So here’s the plan:

The Plan:

Dates: January 28th – February 1st

Schedule:

Thursday:
-C-Tow to tow SEA WEASEL from HCM to GI Boat Yard
-WEASEL hauled out and blocked
-Stem to Stern to begin prop-shaft replacement work
Note: In the evening I plan on coming down and inspecting the work that I will need to do. In particular I may want to remove the rudder to get at the lower gudgeon and pintail which has some play in it.

Friday:
-Stem to Stern to continue prop-shaft replacement work.
-Hull Scrapping; I will be coming down and scrapping of any obvious growth or loose paint in preparation for sanding.


The grossest job on the planet.

Saturday:
-Above the waterline hull cleaning. The boat will need to be treated with FSR to remove any staining above the waterline.
-Sanding below the waterline. This should be a fairly light sanding. Having done a more thorough job at the last haul out and switching to an ablative paint it should mean this will be straight forward.
-Hull Waxing. Above the waterline the boat will need to be polished with a cleaner wax using a random orbital polisher.
-Anti-fouling Painting. As early in the day as possible we will want to apply anti-fouling paint. We will be using Interlux ACT (black). The first coat I may use a red paint so I can determine when it is wearing thin but I am not certain on this point.

The bottom paint I use; it wears away like a bar of soap so there should be a minimum of sanding.

Sunday:
-Hull Waxing: Today using a dedicated hull polish over all hull surfaces above the waterline.
-2nd Coat of Anti-fouling.

Monday:
-Stem to Stern to complete mechanical work.
-Zincs to be installed
-Boat dropped; with quick painting of the pad spots on the hull.

HELP THE WEASEL:

I will be needing help so I am asking that anyone who is available to help; in particular on Saturday and Sunday let me know if you can come and assist.

I will need help with:

-Sanding
-Waxing
-Painting
-Running (I always need to go by the store and pick stuff up)
-Morale Support

You should know that this is gross work; and no matter what the conditions the work will be going ahead. It could also last long into the night. Dress in clothes you would rather never wear again.

Assuming that you are all coming down the job would be a lot easier if we had additional tools. If you have a power sander and/or a random orbital polisher please let me know. This will speed the work considerably.

BLOG NOTE:

I will be writing a repair report on this event. I will include all of the tools, and materials used; plus any relevant notes. I will include as many pictures and video as possible; so stay tuned.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I am available to help with bringing by a six pack and screwing up your whole schedule.