Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bowen Island Revisited

Lisa holding a bundled up Kingsley on our way to Bowen Island.
I have to be honest I had become sick and tired of Bowen Island. Overpriced marinas, long waiting lists and unprofessional 16 year old marina employees. However sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to appreciate what is there. When my mother-in-law Jo and sister-in-law Lisa said they wanted to go on a overnight boating trip I first thought of Bowen. Thinking about it from their point of view I had to reflect on what it did offer and I found myself really looking forward to it.
Bowen Island offers a relaxed pace; a beautiful marina, and a tiny but quaint little village. I was sure they would have a good time when I cast off the dock lines and Bowen did not disappoint.
We motored out for most of the way through English Bay in light winds. As we neared point Atkinson the wind picked up from the West and we were able to reach at a good 5+ knots to the point where predictably the wind became fluky.
Jo and Cheryl enjoying a relaxed sail to Bowen.
At Point Atkinson we through on the motor and made our way into the failing wind. We managed to get a little more sailing in before giving up and motoring the rest of the way. The sun had just faded away behind mount park as we rounded the corner of Snug Cove to be confronted with the Ferry the QUEEN OF CAPILANO as she made her way to Horse Bay.
As we got closer we could hear loud music and saw hundreds of people. I remembered it was Bowfest. We tied up and made ourselves at home. This would be the second year we would be there for the local festival and to be honest I enjoyed it. Live music, drunken teens, and carefree kids. We added to the drama when I had to send Cheryl up the mast to retrieve the jib halyard which fell off the battle flag when I was hoisting it. -blush-
Lisa and I proceeded to go on a hunt for junk food while Jo and Cheryl prepared a feast on the boat. When we finally arrived we had steak, corn on the cob, and salad. We had planned to stay up late playing games but were so tired after our feast we went to bed.
The SEA WEASEL in the morning light.
Jo walking the little monster.
2 generations at the Snug Cove Cafe.
The next morning we awoke to a beautiful sunny day and we started it right with coffee and an epic breakfast aboard. Following that we waddled up the gangway and went for a short hike over to Manion bay and spent some time exploring the shore. On our way I came across a memorial for the first world war and was shocked to discover that Bowen Island lost 5 privates. This must have touched every family on the island in some way. In my time cruising the Gulf Islands I have been shocked to see how many of these small communities lost soldiers in the world wars. It makes you consider what a sacrifice a small country like Canada made back in those days when it lost 65,000 soldiers in the first world war.
Where to?
It is amazing to think that this little community lost five soldiers in the first world war. It makes you think what a sacrifice a small country like Canada made back then.
Manion Bay crowded with vessels.
The sail home was amazing! The wind was a inflow into Howe Sound but we were able to round the point after one tack. It was amazing sailing and we reached into English Bay only dousing our sails after we reached the mouth to False Creek. Both Jo and Lisa had, had a great time and this reminded me that Bowen Island was more than a quick stop on the way.

No comments: