Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Nicest Marina Toilets in BC

The Union Steamship Companies NEW sailor's lounge and office.
On one of my last visits I reported on some of the changes to the Union Steamship Comany's Marina. They had added a new float building with the intention of moving there office, small chandlary, and restroom facilities to it. When I recently arrived I found the project half complete with the new Sailor's Lounge and restroom facilities open for business.

I have to say I like the decor a lot; it is very nautical and quite inviting.

While I know most people are looking to get away from TV you can catch up on "so you think you can dance.".
While I hate paying $50 a night for my 27' boat I was impressed with the facilities. Hands down USSM is the nicest I have been to. Although Gibsons and Thetis have the nicest people and best rates.
They will be maintaining their existing shore side facilities turning the shop into a tourist trap and moving the small chandlary onto the float building. The existing heads/showers, and laundry machines will be maintained. In addition there is one washer-dryer unit ont he float building and two more showers there are also additional restroom facilities. These are top notch. I was really impressed when I sat on a toilet and could look out through a port hole to the grassy area (the women's side features this as well). The sinks are amazing and feature burgee tiles from local yacht clubs. A classy touch I thought.
The main lounge area has a 52" plasma screen TV with cable and wireless internet. This is quite inviting although I usually plan to get away from TV when I go sailing. All in all I have to say that USSM has created a classy joint a little bit more in line with the prices they charge. My only suggestion is to drop it to $1 a foot during peak season and hire somemore responsible staff (the number of screw ups I have encountered is epic). Still it is the nicest crapper in the area!

The new laundry facilities are in addition to the existing ones so there is a net gain of one washer & dryer.

The new bathrooms are quite impressive. They feature two amazing sinks, urinels, and toilets with porthole views outside.

They even represent TCYC in their decor choices. NICE!

No comments: