Thursday, September 3, 2009

Gulf Island Run


The proposed route.

My parents are latent Gulf Island people recently discovering them a year ago. My Dad who can be a creature of habit actually was telling me that he met these people that cruised on there sailboat all over these islands just like their RV and had a fantastic time. He was quite impressed. Of course I nearly chocked: "What do you think I have been doing for the past 3 years!"


Anyway my family decided on an impromptu meet up at Montague Harbour on Galiano Island. They would bring there RV and EMMA-IRENE there 21' aluminum river fishing boat. Cheryl and I agreed to take the boat over to meet them the middle weekend of September. The challenge was to get the boat over to Montague Harbour which is approximately a 48 nautical mile sail.

We were planning to be there Friday afternoon. Cheryl worked that day so it would be best if she could meet the boat over there taking the ferry to Galiano. This would require me to have the boat over there to meet her; so I came up with a plan. I would sail the boat over Wednesday and take two days to get to Montague Harbour.

I enlisted the help of a relative stranger, Joshua, the guy who sold me Cheryl's anniversary present (diamond earrings). He and I would head over to Silva Bay on Gabriola Island the first day as it was the currents were not going to allow us to get through the pass the first night.





The second day we plan on getting through the pass and making our way hopefully as far south as Wallace Island stopping over in either Princess or Connover Cove. This would make an excellent launching point for either Montague Harbour directly or a small stopover at Telegraph harbour for the CS rendezvous.

All in all this should be an amazing trip and I will keep you posted as we get started.

No comments: